Let others in SAEM know what you learned about at that conference, workshop, summit, seminar, or other event you attended! This column is the place to share your learning with others through take-away messages, or high level statements of specifics that you learned. We ask that attendees go deeper than the descriptive content typically found in conference programs to specifics.
Send your short contributions with the following information:
- Conference title, date, and place
- Workshop title
- Presenters and their affiliation
- A few take-away messages you learned from this event. These might be best practices, legal updates, new insights, or other content that you can take-away that will affect how you do your job
Some examples of take-away messages are:
- A teacher who makes accommodations in the classroom for a student with a disability only sets the precedence for that specific class. The institution is not required to provide the same accommodation campus wide.
- Pivot Tables can help us see the “big picture” by automatically extracting, organizing, and summarizing data.
- Over its history, $560 million has been raised for education by the Lottery Scholarship; there have been 82,000 recipients of the Lottery Scholarship and 34,000 Lottery Scholarship graduates.
- Maximum Pell award for Academic Year 2013-2014 will increase from $5,550 to $5,635 for students with an EFC of zero. Total Pell grant recipients have increased by 50% since 2008, and simplification of FAFSA has increased the number of applications by 30% since 2009.
A biology professor summarized an entire semester of lectures into takeaway messages at this website.