How to contribute to Share the Learning
Let others in SAEM know what you learned about at that conference, workshop, summit, seminar, or other event you attended! This column is the place to share your learning with others through take-away messages, or high level statements of specifics that you learned. We ask that attendees go deeper than the descriptive content typically found in conference programs to specifics.
Send your short contributions with the following information:
- Conference title, date, and place
- Workshop title
- Presenters and their affiliation
- A few take-away messages you learned from this event. These might be best practices, legal updates, new insights, or other content that you can take-away that will affect how you do your job
Some examples of take-away messages are:
- A teacher who makes accommodations in the classroom for a student with a disability only sets the precedence for that specific class. The institution is not required to provide the same accommodation campus wide.
- Pivot Tables can help us see the “big picture” by automatically extracting, organizing, and summarizing data.
- Over its history, $560 million has been raised for education by the Lottery Scholarship; there have been 82,000 recipients of the Lottery Scholarship and 34,000 Lottery Scholarship graduates.
- Maximum Pell award for Academic Year 2013-2014 will increase from $5,550 to $5,635 for students with an EFC of zero. Total Pell grant recipients have increased by 50% since 2008, and simplification of FAFSA has increased the number of applications by 30% since 2009.
A biology professor summarized an entire semester of lectures into takeaway messages at this website.
- New Mexico HEAR Conference
- Association of Student Conduct Administration Annual Conference 2014
- Accessing Higher Ground Conference (Accessible Media, Web & Technology)
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and University (HACU)
- College Board’s Native American Student Advocacy Institute 2013
- SAEM Executive Team retreat
- Sharing learning from APLU
- Western Association of College and University Business Officers
- Career Services Online Conference 2013
- New Mexico Legislative Lottery Summit 2013
- Association of Student Conduct Administration (Jasek)
- Microsoft Excel Basics & Beyond Basics Seminars (Career Services staff)
- Federal Student Aid Conference 2012
- AHEAD (Association on Higher Education and Disability) Management Institutes 2013 (Luken)
- Student Veterans of America National Conference (SVA) 2012
- Creating Change Conference 2013 (Horn)
- Southwest Association of Student Assistance Programs Conference (Hicks)
- Continuing Education Program of American Conference 2012 (F. Addo-Yobo)
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (L. Gutiérrez Spencer)
- NAACO Western Regional Conference (M. Marquez and S. Ponce)
- NMASFAA Training and Conference (Financial Aid Staff)
- Southern New Mexico Employment Law Update (E. Ortega & K. Andrew)
- Dallas Mania Fitness 2012 (J. Trembly & T. Gutierrez)
- Swim America Workshop (S. Garcia)
- Put the fun back in your game: 2012 RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf)(B. Smith)
- National Student Exchange Conference (B. Vandevender)
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Management Leadership Institute (R. Bensley)
- Southwest Association of Student Assistance Programs 2012 (C. Hicks)
- CollegeSource Users Conference 2012 (J. Sorrell)
- NICWA Cross Cultural Skills Training 2012 (A. Murphy)
- NMHEAR Conference (F. Addo-Yobo)
- 2012 NASPA Conference (M. Munson-McGee)