1. Mission statement was adopted by the Assessment Team with one change.
The SAEM Assessment Team builds a culture of evidence within SAEM to continuously improve the programs, services and experiences provided to NMSU students by SAEM.
a. New Mexico Higher Education Assessment and Retention Conference (NMHEAR) Conference – provides an opportunity for faculty, staff and administrators to share ideas about assessment and retention initiatives that promote student success.
- Conference is February 27th and 28th 2014 in Albuquerque, NM.
- Keynote Speaker is Tom Angelo – Seven Design Principles for Effective Assessment
- Seeking Conference presenters – proposal form must be submitted by Friday, November 29, 2013. http://www.nmsu.edu/NMHEAR/cfp.php. Can be presentations, panel or workshop.
- Interested in attending please see Melody Munson-Mcgee. Assessment team has funds to help subsidize trips to Assessment conferences.
3. Speakers: Melody Munson-Mcgee is attempting to arrange a presentation or speaker from IRB. Will try to set up by next meeting.
4. Assessment In Practice
a. Registrar’s Office – Hector Sanchez
- Assessing the effectiveness and use of the Star Degree Audit system, Number of Graduate Degree Applications submitted and number of unofficial transcripts requested by students.
- Methods – utilizing survey and interviews
- Collected information from different colleges: Health and Social Services, Education
- Students have completed 18-20 surveys
b. Financial Aid – Gabriel Mendez
- Assessing the Scholar Dollar system which had a major overhaul- new look, new graphics
- Checking for utilization effectiveness – can be an economic engine
- Horizontal Assessment – student side/processor usage
- How does the Scholar Dollar system align with the baccalaureate experience and graduation goals?
- Does system align with scholarship endowments?
- use of system: time location, time of day use, amount of time spent
- Describe specific experience – based on time and experience spent on completing application
- Navigability of site – Can student show someone how to use it and will the student use it again.
- Did student secure funds? Type of funding received
- Can draw subsets from different groups i.e., high achieving or low achieving, survey entire population
5. Next meeting – December 3, 2013 – 2:00 pm Educational Services Building
- Assessment Reports – Johana Bencomo – TRiO Student Support Services
Corey Vas – Counseling Center