Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Weekly Report
March 27, 2016
- Student Success Navigator Program: SAEM Vice President Bernadette Montoya hosted 80 faculty and staff at a Teaching Academy/University Teaching Council event that provided an update on the activities of the Student Success Navigator Program. The Navigators had an opportunity to interact with representatives from the colleges they are assigned to work with and Marissa Macias, Program Coordinator. Marissa and the Navigators also provided an update on contacts with the 2015 Freshman class and how Navigators are assisting students.
- LGBT+ Programs Celebrates Pride Season: The NMSU LGBT+ Programs has had a busy spring hosting the Pride Season celebrations, which included the Festival of Colors, J Paul Taylor Symposium on Social Justice, and entertaining Drag Show held Tuesday, March 29th. Students, staff and faculty have gathered for these inclusive events promoting NMSU as a campus that recognizes, supports, and promotes diversity. Pride Season will conclude with two featured events: on April 19th, at 7:00 pm, MSNBC host and best-selling author, JanetMock will speak on her book Redefining Realness. On May 6th, the LGBT+ Programs will recognize student achievement at the annual Rainbow Graduation Dinner to be held at the NMSU Golf Course. For more information on the program of a schedule of events, visit the website at http://lgbt.nmsu.edu/ .
- Intramurals Keeps Students Active: Intramural Sports is in full swing with 9 sports currently underway. Basketball, Dodgeball, Futsal, Grass Volleyball, Kickball, Ping Pong, Racquetball, Softball and Team handball. Our Intramural program serves over 300 students each week, promoting and enhancing healthy lifestyles. The program also employs over 100 students, providing them with not only financial support but also an opportunity to gain lifelong job skills. Follow the program through our YouTube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwFyKvG12QU&feature=youtu.be&a
Students from Intramural sports enjoying the wide variety of sports offered this semester.
- Chase Foundation Dinner: Representatives from the Chase Foundation in Artesia, Ginny Bush and Jennifer Urban, were on campus on March 30th for their semester visit with Chase Scholars. Dr. Bernadette Montoya provided the welcome to fifty students who are receiving the Chase Scholarship.
- Financial Aid: The University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services held their Annual Spring Training. The training was to review updates with financial aid policies and procedures in the next academic year. Dr. Bernadette Montoya, Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management addressed the group on team building and positive workplace behaviors.