Office of the Vice President, Dr. Bernadette Montoya
- Before an audience of about 300, Dr. Montoya welcomed new members of the Greek Community with an address about the importance of involvement in campus life. She encouraged students to set a good example for others through the work in their communities.
- Dr. Montoya welcomed about 400 prospective students and their families at the Aggie Experience program on Saturday. University Admissions hosts this event each year.
- This was a busy week for interviews: On Monday, Dr. Montoya was interviewed for the News 22 broadcast about enrollment, and on Wednesday, she discussed financial aid with Lindsey Anderson for an upcoming article in the Las Cruces Sun News.
University Admissions, Ms. Valerie Pickett
- Judy Weicherding, Dual Credit Coordinator, and Valerie Pickett, Director, met with the DACC Dual Credit office and the local high school counselors to review deadlines and events for dual credit students for Spring 2014 classes.
- Delia De Leon, Associate Director, and Veronica Chavez Neuman, Director of the Albuquerque Center, traveled to Santa Fe to discuss recruitment with Tina Ludutsky-Taylor, the Director of the Santa Fe Higher Education Center.
- Recruiters continued College Day travels in Albuquerque and Phoenix, and Marissa Macias, Admissions Advisor, made a return visit to high schools in east central New Mexico. Transfer recruiters also met with prospective students at El Paso Community College.
Student Engagement, Dr. Terry Cook
- Terry Cook attended the Academic Advisor Symposium on Friday, September 20. Presentation topics included Appreciative Advising and working with students with mental health concerns. Other presenters were Dr. Karen Schafer, NMSU Counseling Center; Angela Bates, NMSU Judicial Office; and Stephen Lopez, Chief of Police.
- Tutor requests for the TRiO Student Support Services Program have increased by 56% compared to this time last semester. The Program is seeing an increase in requests for tutoring and electrical, civil, aeronautics, and mechanical engineering.
Student Life, Dr. Michael Jasek
- Student Accessibility Services staff participated in a collaborative meeting hosted by DACC/Services for Students with Disabilities to discuss the development of a standardized system for all NMSU campuses on September 20, 2013.
- New Member Presentation was September 24 in the Corbett Center Student Union. 116 new fraternity members and 108 new sorority members were presented and welcomed to the NMSU Greek
Community. At the event, 74 students were honored for earning a 4.0 grade point average for Spring 2013.
- Union Program Council hosted Kristoffer Koerper, NMSU Baseball team member and musician, to play his music in the CCSU Food Court area on Tuesday, September 24.
Office of Student Diversity and Outreach, Ms. Christina Chavez Kelley
- The American Indian Program (AIP) hosted Eunice Cardenas of Vanguard on September 16 for her presentation Getting the Most Out of a
Career Fair and Interview Technique – Acing a Job Interview! On September 18, Samantha Romero of Teach for America provided information on teaching opportunities in New Mexico and throughout the country.
- Chicano Programs, the Hispanic Faculty/Staff Caucus, and the Provost’s Office co-sponsored a presentation observing Hispanic Serving Institution Week on September 17, 2013. Dr. Robert Durán and Dr. Loui Reyes presented From Hispanic-Collecting Institutions to Hispanic-Serving Institutions.
- The first meeting of QUEER VOICES was held on September 19, 2013. QUEER VOICES is a discussion group for GLBTQ students, faculty, and staff and is sponsored by the Counseling Center and the Sexual & Gender Diversity Resource Center (SGDRC).
- The SGDRC held Safe Zone Trainings for two for Human Sexuality courses on September 23 with a total of 206 students attending the training. The SGDRC also hosted panels for two other Human Sexuality courses on September 25, 2013 for 80 students.
- Chicano Programs screened Prejudice and Pride, a documentary from the PBS series Latino-Americans on September 25, 2013. Director and producer John Valadez spoke to a diverse crowd regarding the film.
- Ms. Tinsley Hembree, Assistant Dean of Students, welcomed her husband Jordan home from his deployment from Afghanistan on Sunday, September 22.