NMSU branding
New Mexico State University
New Mexico State University

July Update

Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Colleauges ~

June was certainly a busy month!  On the 22nd, I was given a wonderful opportunity to share information about our division with our NMSU Board of Regents during their annual retreat.  It was truly a pleasure to discuss the many good and very important things that all of you are doing to serve both students and our faculty.

Last week I attended a meeting of the Council of Student Affairs and Enrollmement Management Vice Presidents at APLU (Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities) in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  This was a wonderful opportunity to meet with colleagues from other Land Grant institutions.  Our conversations focused on reporting relationships among VP’s and within the various areas of student affairs, the role of co-curricular learning outcomes, marketing student affairs and enrollment management on our campuses, promoting data-driven supervision of collegiate counseling centers, and the role and impact of our areas on retention and graduation.  In addition, there was also much discussion about the current challenges we are facing related to the impending radical changes of the Pell grant funding at the Federal level.  Thanks to those of you who I called on for advice on the Pell issues!  We were able to share our collective thoughts with President Couture, and she will now forward comments to APLU and to others to continue to support Pell funding for our students.

As many of you may already know, Mr. Steve Salway retired after serving many years as Director of  Career Services.  We wish him the very best.  I will be meeting with staff from the Career Services office in the next two weeks to discuss future direction for this key area in Student Affairs and to get to know each of them a little better, and to learn about the role they each play.  Dr. Susan Waldo has agreed to serve as the point person for the Career Services office until we determine next steps.

Many of you continue to ask about the status of the Dean of Students search.  At this time, I am finalizing the secondary referencing.  I will keep you informed as we move forward.

The plans for Freshman Student Convocation scheduled for August 15 are coming along nicely!  I appreciate the time and effort spent by the Office of Student Engagement in handling the many details involved with this event.  It is the intent of our President to make this an annual event, and one of NMSU’s traditions.  We will all play a role in the many important events scheduled for that week, beginning on Sunday, August 14th – Move in day!  I will be counting on everyone’s cooperation and support as we welcome our entering freshman class, as well as our continuing students.  Updates will be shared in the coming weeks on ways that you might be involved.

Again, please take this opportunity to provide relevant feedback on the updates and information I provide.  I look forward to continued dialogue with you.

Bernadette

Tagged with: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments